Friday, June 30, 2006

Fad No# 6: TREE-CHANGE

Noise pollution, air pollution, light pollution, mind pollution. Sometimes I love this city with an aching tenderness, with its throbbing undercurrent of activity and potential, and other times I feel like I'm netted in a tangle of grit, static and hard grey edges. The boy and I are looking to buy land together away from the city. No-one real can afford a sea-change anymore, so the new, groovy weekend-magazine term is the "tree-change". We want to run away, have our own little hideaway, our own little piece of somewhere. It'll just be somewhere to go camping at first, a guaranteed private spot where we can set up mini-projects (I have a lovely pit toilet in mind!) and practise things like mud-bricks and simple building structures. Then who knows... we might run away there for good. Build a house and move t'country!

4 comments:

Penni Russon said...

all right, but if you (make like a tree and) leave me can I come too?

Zedd said...

There'll always be a little camping spot and pit toilet for you dearie! (Mates rates of course, says the boy!)
My only concern about tree-changing, is how do I blog with no mains power?! (Generator! Says the boy over my shoulder. I don't think I should let him read while I blog! Now he reckons I sound like Bridget Jones Diary! Fark orf says I!)

Penni Russon said...

Laugh! You could put your generator in the pit toilet (so you have a roof) and then you can blog in the bog.

Neeks said...

Is an idyllic dream!! I watch a few of those designing homes programs on TV(usually whilst folding the mountains of laundry that only men seem to generate!) and have seen some gorgeous eco-friendly housing been built. I love the idea of solid wood frames(medievel english style) and the use of hay bales for walls. Always looks sooooo toasty and warm.