Saturday, July 01, 2006

Fad No #7: TRIVIA NIGHTS (or, I'm not wearing my underpants on the outside tonight)

There was a period last year when I was VERY into the Trivia Night. A small core group of us used to go down to (insert generic local inner Melbourne pub here) for a weekly Triv night. There were a lot of other 20/30-somethings in little knots of light beer drinking Wednesday night cameraderie, whooping, whispering, covertly texting housemates and friends, battling it out for the free jug of beer and the peer kudos of being champions for the night. Our team consistently had (despite its variable team composition of friend of friend ring-ins) the name I'm Not Wearing My Underpants On The Outside Tonight, in response to another team by the name of The Caped Crusaders. We thought we were rather clever, and it pained the poor rent-a-quiz-master lady to announce our name each week, which gave us a flash of collective childish glee! I have mostly lost touch with that group now, but I miss the regular meet-up and the playfulness of the event, and the feeling that despite being a bit of an old lady party-pooper, I was still 'going out'. Oh, and the brain-flexing and thinky stuff. Me like thinky stuff real good.

3 comments:

Penni Russon said...

Good god, I didn't even know you were doing this while I was out languishing in the suburbs with my offspring. Sounds like fun! NOW I AM NO LONGER LANGUISHING (oops sorry, inadvetant shouty) we should do one. Martin can stay home with said offspring. I bet Man of Zed knows heaps of trivial stuff.

Penni Russon said...

(what with being a librarian and all)

Zedd said...

Yes, I was thinking this morning that he might well enjoy it and you also. Excellent, let's get it orjanised sometime soon!