Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Fad Review:

So how am I doing on my chosen fads? Well, I haven't yet tackled the drying of fruit, but I DID go to a mate's primary school where she teaches Prep/1 and spent the day observing/helping out to get a gist (and D, I still maintain that "gist" looks better spelt with a 'j') of how it all works. Let me just say, hats off to primary teachers! This mate ran her class like a prima conductress before a symphonic orchestra. Reading group to the left, cue the creative writing session over there, Johnny sit down and stop poking Tina, Mark I can see you behind me go back to your seat and finish your adding etc etc. Marvellous! It was exhausting just being an observer though, and I didn't even have to go home and plan another class for the following day, but it was a beautiful thing to watch, and I am still keen to get into it, so I'm off to a couple of Uni Open Days soon to see if I can get into a Graduate Diploma. It's all coming together... I think I have a plan!
I'm also coming back to the idea of yoga teaching. I currently take a weekly class at a gym, which was a hand-me-down from MY teacher, so the group is a bunch of old hands who are very supportive and know where I'm at. I've also been filling in for the same teacher at her other gym while she is OS, and it's going really well. I'm getting really encouraging feedback from the participants, so I think I may be onto something, but I'm going to try and get a Certificate 3 in fitness (or whatever it's called) to enable me to teach group fitness classes in any gym - legally that is! Certainly with greater confidence that I'm covered for all eventualities. There is a performative element to leading a group of people or teaching a class that I kinda get off on. After all these years of putting any kind of teaching on the back-burner as my last-resort job, I'm now seeing it with new eyes and realising how awesome it can be! Everything is coming together at this point for a reason! Yee-hah!

Speaking of yee-hahs, tomorrow is Lease-Signing Day!!! And the beginning of the Big Shift. It is definately a period of Capital Letters. We Are Moving In Together! Fuck! And yay! And fuck! (but mostly yay!)

No comments: