Monday, September 11, 2006

Fad No#16: Rock Musicals!!!


We were hip with the kidz last weekend... and man am I glad I finally got off my arse and did something to experience the wonders that Melbourne frequently has to offer!

Hedwig and the Angry Inch... D only introduced me to this a coupla months ago on DVD, knowing I'm a big Rocky Horror fan, and I was blown away by the film (based on a stage production in the first place)! Superlatives flew from my mouth left, right and centre! It really is a fantastic story with great, funny, rockin' songs, and real depth of character and theme. And the Australian stage version was an equal match! The lead player, some Sydney musician called iOTA, who I'd never heard of (but like I say, I'm generally not really hip with the kidz), brought Hedwig completely and utterly to life - he was absolutely stunning, fantastic voice, and could act to boot! The rest of the cast consisted of his sidekick and partner, Yitzak (an actress called Blazey Best, who is in (male)drag for most of the show, but at the end you get to see what a total HOTTIE she is too!), and the band. It was really great, and I can't recommend it highly enough, though it finishes this weekend, so you'd wanna be quick.
Of course, as we were leaving the theatre, with memories of the show ringing in our ears, I had my usual fantasies of being in a rock musical myself... bowing at the end and sharing conspiratorial winks and looks with my castmates and crew-members, knowing we're a part of a family... can't I just enjoy it for what it was? Do I have to always want to be a part of everyone else's fun?!
Needless to say, I am on the hunt for the soundtrack, so I can "rock ouuuuuut" in my car (god, how sad) singing along and pretending I'm a tortured East German girly-boy!

No comments: